Thursday, November 15, 2007

The approach of turkeys and comas

Ah yes. Thanksgiving. As it quickly approaches I find myself quite thankful that we live far enough from family, and are anti-social enough to not have a full thanksgiving at our house. As much as I envy the beautiful displays in magazines and the idea of a "perfect" thanksgiving where the bird is a golden brown and the mashed potatoes are creamy and delicious - the truth of the matter is, regardless of the fact that I am a pretty good cook, and a darn good baker - when it comes to birds I am definitely not skilled. So! I shall brave the massive amounts of dog hair, and the very full house - and shall go to my in-laws for our first Thanksgiving at their place since DH and have been married. I figured, since I don't actually have to cook, or really do anything other than smile and be my delightfully charming (and modest) self - I should gather up some ideas of crafts to do with the kiddies to keep them out of my MIL's hair while she does the cooking. With 5 kids in the house ranging from 7 months to 7 years, I'm sure she'll be quite thankful for that. My challenge is finding several projects that can span the ages - lucky for me the Internet is chalked full of resources. Here's what I came up with -

The ever popular paper roll turkey. Simple enough for a 3 year old - yet still entertaining for a 7 year old. And what Thanksgiving would be complete without children running around in Pilgrim hats? Exactly. Perhaps I shall acquire some good stories about the history of Thanksgiving to read to the kiddies as well. I have several coloring sheets and what not to print up as well - maybe if I'm feeling extra inspired later on, I'll come up with some games to play as well. We'll see.

After all is said and done - I look forward to the L-tryptophan induced coma that my child will hopefully fall into.

2 Questions, Comments, Concerns:

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

Love the hat. Ummm how do you make it? I am sooo not crafty. can I download. LOL
last year on thanksgiving I did the cutest craft(of course not MY ideaa as I am not creative) but you trace their feet and glue the heels together. The hands are the feathers. You then add the goblers and wiggly eyes. The reason I love this craft, is you can trace the baby's feet and keep it. I just pulled the kid's craft from last year and dd's feet were sooo tiny. Long comment but had to share.

Garden State Kate said...

LOL, you may want to consider putting all the supplies and decorations for each craft in a plastic ziplock bag
for each child..that way if something comes up..like one of yours needs extra attention of doesn't feel well etc (fill in any way our own children can take up our time at a gathering)
and you can just hand out the bags to the others. Maybe you can have the older ones read the directions to the younger ones...just a thought.