Saturday, November 10, 2007

100 Books Accomplished

So when I started my blog back over the summer I had what seemed like an impossible task of reading 100 books all children should read before going to 'school'. Well, it seems that I have in fact finished that list - I just seriously slacked off on marking them off... so - In it's entirety, here is the list of 100 books all children should read. For the sake of "recommendations" I have coded them, green are favorites (or well liked enough to read over and over), yellow are ok but I wouldn't go buy it, and red are "why is this book on this list". If I can't recall it well enough to code I left it black :) (after all I'm getting old, if I don't write it down or take a picture I can't be sure to remember)

1. Where’s My Teddy? Alborough, Jez

2. Miss Nelson is Missing Allard, Harry

3. Happy Birthday, Moon Asch, Frank

4. Ten, Nine, Eight Bang, Molly

5. Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing Barrett, Judi

6. The Three Bears Barton, Byron

7. I Like Myself Beaumont, Karen

8. Madeline Bemelmans, Ludwig

9. The Mitten Brett, Jan

10. Clifford, the Big Red Dog Bridwell, Norman

11. Stone Soup Brown, Marcia

12. Goodnight, Moon Brown, Margaret Wise

13. Mr. Gumpy’s Outing Burningham, John

14. Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel Burton, Virginia Lee

15. The Very Hungry Caterpillar Carle, Eric

16. Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed Christelow, Eileen

17. Miss Rumphius Cooney, Barbara

18. Freight Train Crews, Donald

19. Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type Cronin, Doreen

20. Today I Feel Silly Curtis, Jamie Lee

21. Strega Nona De Paola, Tomie (This gets a brighter green because we love Strega Nona so so much)

22. Bed Hogs DiPucchio, Kelly

23. Are You My Mother? Eastman, P. D.

24. Feathers For Lunch Ehlert, Lois

25. Go Away, Big Green Monster! Emberley, Ed

26. Olivia Falconer, Ian

27. Lunch Fleming, Denise

28. The Magic Hat Fox, Mem

29. Corduroy Freeman, Don

30. Millions of Cats Gag, Wanda

31. The Three Billy Goats Gruff Galdone, Paul

32. Barnyard Song Greene, Rhonda

33. Is Your Mama a Llama? Guarino, Deborah

34. A First Picture Book of Nursery Rhymes Harbour, Elizabeth (Illustrator)

35. Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse Henkes, Kevin

36. Where’s Spot? Hill, Eric

37. Bread and Jam for Frances Hoban, Russell

38. Is it Red? Is it Yellow? Is it Blue? An Adventure in Color Hoban, Tana

39. Miss Mary Mack Hoberman, Mary Ann

40. Rosie’s Walk Hutchins, Pat

41. Harold and the Purple Crayon Johnson, Crockett

42. Splash! Jonas, Ann

43. Jump, Frog, Jump! Kalan, Robert

44. The Wolf’s Chicken Stew Kasza, Keiko

45. The Snowy Day Keats, Ezra Jack

46. The Caterpillar and the Polliwog Kent, Jack

47. Anansi and the Moss Covered Rock Kimmel, Eric

48. Leo the Late Bloomer Kraus, Robert

49. The Carrot Seed Krauss, Ruth

50. Over in the Meadow Langstaff, John

51. The Story of Ferdinand Leaf, Munro

52. Tacky the Penguin Lester, Helen

53. A Color of His Own Lionni, Leo

54. Frog and Toad are Friends Lobel, Arnold

55. Froggy Gets Dressed London, Jonathan

56. Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom Martin, Bill

57. All By Myself Mayer, Mercer

58. Guess How Much I Love You McBratney, Sam

59. Make Way for Ducklings McCloskey, Robert

60. Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore! McPhail, David

61. Martha Speaks Meddaugh, Susan

62. The Jacket I Wear in the Snow Neitzel, Shirley

63. The Day Jimmy’s Boa Ate the Wash Noble, Trinka

64. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Numeroff, Laura

65. Amelia Bedelia Parish, Peggy

66. The Kissing Hand Penn, Audrey

67. The Rainbow Fish Pfister, Marcus

68. The Little Engine That Could Piper, Watty

69. The Tale of Peter Rabbit Potter, Beatrix

70. Good Night, Gorilla Rathmann, Peggy

71. Curious George Rey, H. A.

72. We’re Going on a Bear Hunt Rosen, Michael

73. The Relatives Came Rylant, Cynthia (It wasn't bad, we just didn't get it... perhaps it was over our heads and really is phenominal)

74. Grandfather’s Journey Say, Allen

75. Cars and Trucks and Things That Go Scarry, Richard

76. Where the Wild Things Are Sendak, Maurice

77. The Cat in the Hat Dr. Seuss

78. Duck on a Bike Shannon, David

79. Gregory, the Terrible Eater Sharmat, Mitchell

80. It Looked Like Spilt Milk Shaw, Charles

81. Caps for Sale Slobodkina, Esphyr

82. Imogene’s Antlers Small, David

83. Sylvester and the Magic Pebble Steig, William

84. And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon Stevens, Janet

85. Joseph Had a Little Overcoat Taback, Simms

86. Who’s Counting Tafuri, Nancy

87. Pigsty Teague, Mark

88. Polar Express Van Allsburg, Chris

89. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day Viorst, Judith

90. Lyle, Lyle Crocodile Waber, Bernard

91. Farmer Duck Waddell, Martin

92. Mouse Paint Walsh, Ellen Stoll

93. Noisy Nora Wells, Rosemary

94. Knuffle Bunny Willems, Mo

95. I Went Walking Williams, Sue

96. A Chair for My Mother Williams, Vera B.

97. The Napping House Wood, Audrey

98. Owl Moon Yolen, Jane

99. Seven Blind Mice Young, Ed

100. Harry, the Dirty Dog Zion, Gene

And there you have it. I see that there are quite a few (too many perhaps), that I don't recall well enough to have a solid opinion of. And for the most part... they were all pretty good reads - There was only 1 of all 100 that we found to be a total waste of time, but perhaps that's because at this point "finding" colors is a wee bit below Soph. While looking through it I believe her words were "Mom, this is boring, I need something with some action". Alrighty then! *side note* I have accomplished 1 of my goals. Yay me!

6 Questions, Comments, Concerns:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for accomplishing this feat! I miss reading books and I just hope I could also challenge myself in doing this sometime soon.

Happy weekend!

Cher Mere said...

Congrats! That is a very good accomplishment

Calfkeeper said...

Hi...

thanks for your visit. I love this list of books. As a mom to an 8 month old I need to copy this and start collecting.

Cheers,
Rebecca

Garden State Kate said...

LOL, I never remember to keep track of the books we read. I usually just pick the ones I really like or don't to talk about.lol
I love the "100" list!

Unknown said...

Well done! I printed out your color-coded list to put in our library bag.

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks