Friday, October 19, 2007

The New Rotavirus "vaccine"

Ok - So this post has nothing to do with school... well I guess it does have something to do with lessons learned however. Brenna had her 6 month check up yesterday. She's still way to little. She's only 12.8 lbs and 26 3/4 inches. the doctors have NO clue why she is so tiny because she eats about 28-32 oz of formula (nutramigen... good stuff too!) AND at least 1 meal of solid food a day. yet she's still so tiny! Hmmph I wish that were my problem. Anyhow, so they're making me drive into downtown to go to John Hopkins to have a sweat test done on her to rule out any horrible things like CF. (God I hope it's not CF). She's had a permanent "cold" since birth where she's always congested. So the doc listened more carefully than one would usually, and said that I was right and she could hear something in the right middle lobe of her lung - so we had chest x rays done and it wasn't pneumonia... great but what is it? Now the lesson learned part of my adventure. There is a "new" rota virus "vaccine" that they give infants orally to help and build an immunity to the virus so that they don't get the uber poopies, because I guess diarrhea can be fatal for infants - well I didn't really think they were serious when they said to wear gloves and not use the cloth diapers for about a week or I'd get it... I figured if I just wash my hands as usual I'd be fine. WRONG. So wrong. So now my little one has this great "resistance" to rota virus... but I'm miserable! Good golly I hope Sophia doesn't get it. I'm trying to keep her away from both me and Brenna, it's not working so well. The moral of the story - Gloves no cloth - doctor's orders!

6 Questions, Comments, Concerns:

Shari said...

{{hugs}} I hope you feel better soon and that all is well with Brenna.

Garden State Kate said...

((hugs)) Poor thing, feel better!!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I hope Brenna is okay and the tests go well. Almost 13 pounds sounds very small for her age.

I hope you feel better. Ami caught that virus and it was horrible.

Anonymous said...

Sending you thoughts and hugs. The trip to JH sounds frightening. My Citcat was only 14 pounds when we brought her home from China at 8 months. Now, she is an eating machine and she isn't small but she is short. ;)

I hope all goes well and that you feel better soon.

Garden State Kate said...

Keep us posted on Brenna.
((BIG HUGS))

Anonymous said...

So sorry! I hope that you feel better soon. That sounds miserable. Good luck with your little one. It is scary when they have something mysterious when they are so little. I had some problems wih my son as a newborn, but he is fine now (and 5!).

Thanks for your comment and I hope you will join us for this Monday's "Unplugged Project!"