Saturday, August 18, 2007

Why is my child still awake?

This is a question I find myself asking ... well myself - on a somewhat regular basis. Tonight we read - The Little House, The Lorax, Animalia, The 11th Hour and then Miss Nelson is Missing (twice). One would think that would be enough. So Pat (aka DH) brushed her hair and she brushed her teeth and off to bed. Oooh if only it were that simple! I hear her calling my name at 11:30ish so I go up to see what exactly all the fuss is about and she is sitting (in the dark) with the Little House and when I ask what she's doing she says "trying to read but I don't know how yet". Alrighty. So I agreed to read it to her 1 more time if she pinkie swore to go to bed afterwards (yeah right). So we read the Little House, then we read Sylvester and the Magic Pebble... and THEN we read the Jolly Postman (TWICE!). I left her room because I am really just too tired for all this reading! Why oh why is my 3 year old still awake at 12:30?! Its not like the child naps. I think I need a permanent coffee IV or something. I sent DH up there to squash the tears - 10 to 1 odds he is now asleep on her bed. If only I could find my camera, that would make for a good picture (since he's a good foot longer than her bed) - snides.

7 Questions, Comments, Concerns:

Cutie said...

Nice to see another preschool homeschooler! I'll be following along.

Shari said...

Ahhh the reading marathon. I know that one all too well. I have been actively adjusting their expectations on how much I am willing to read.

I hope she slept well and long once she finally fell asleep.

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

You must have the energy to stay up. I literally fall asleep reading. LOL Many occassions I wake up and son is fast asleep, the light is on and I still have my contacts in. LOLI literally am exhausted at the end of the day. When ds was 3, at bedtime we read 3 books, 1 he chose, 1 I chose, and 1 we both like. When i got to the 3rd one, I made sure he understood, after the story, he was to go to bed. We read throughout the day, so I knew he was exposed to many books. He just clearly did not want to sleep. If he was good, then I allowed him to "read" one last book on his own. I would leave the room and few minutes later he would be asleep. I have a picture of him at 18 months sleeping with his book opened on his chest. He fell to sleep "reading" in his crib. :)

momof3feistykids said...

I am tired just reading your post. ;-) On the up side, you're reading terrific books! Your kids are adorable.

http://tribeofautodidacts.homeschooljournal.net

Garden State Kate said...

P has always been a "night owl",
I have long been an "early to bed, early to rise " girl.
It has been a very difficult transition for me.lol
We almost never read at bedtime any more...it wakes her up.
We watch a video of the ocean....and zzzzz.

Gottfredsen said...

Gabe has been staying up late himself recently. He has started telling me that he hates to sleep. Kids are really funny.

Daphne said...

Gosh, at least I feel a little better that my child isn't the only one up at ridiculous hours of the night when normal children are sleeping (and normal adults for that matter). And thanks for the compliments about my choice of books. I'm so tired of the junk books (ie TV spin offs) that I decided to go on a quest for books of value and we're reading those instead now.