Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bouncy Balls and Books

Today went a million times better than yesterday. Thank God! I really think that she just needs to have stuff to do, and she likes having company to do it. Today Brenna was awake but quiet until about 10am and then slept until we woke her up after Sophia's "nap time" at about 3pm. Sophia even stayed in her room and was quiet the entire time. I actually even got her 5 minutes before her alarm because I was so happy that I didn't hear "my nap is over" every 2 minutes for an hour. While Brenna was sleeping we had quite an eventful day. We played Ants in the Pants, that's quite a hard game for a 3 year old. The concept is easy enough, but even I have the darnedest time getting to ants to hop! They are so temperamental! Too much pressure and they flop, too little pressure and they flop. Very frustrating! So that didn't last long as we both lost interest. So then we decided it was time for "science" and we made bouncy balls which she loved. We had a really good time and that lasted for almost a full hour and a half. After we made our bouncy balls she decided we should make one for daddy too or else it wouldn't be fair. The bouncing of the balls kept her occupied while I made lunch (another bonus). After lunch she wanted to look at her activity book we bought during our trip to Toys R Us yesterday. I thought it was a bit above her (its K - 1 and she's only 3), but she was very persistent and I gave in. Much to my surprise the only part of the book she doesn't know how to do is the writing of the alphabet. I don't know if this is normal, but that's OK. She has known her left and right since she was probably 2, maybe a little after that. She has no problem with finding "which 2 are the same size" which is smallest, largest... all that stuff. She can count as high as she wants, the teens trip her up but once she gets to the 20s its smooth sailing from there. She proudly informed me tonight that I have 2 Hun-der-ed and 6 bones in my body and that boy mosquitoes don't bite, only girls. (She has a taste for the Dr. Seuss books that are "about" topics like Inside my Outsides, Oh my a Butterfly, etc). So after she realized she knew stuff in her workbook she asked me if it was 2 o'clock yet so she could go to her room. It was about a quarter till so I said, not yet but we can read some if you want. Sooo, she wanted to "read" her "princess words" book which isn't so much a book as a picture dictionary. I never realized how long that darned thing was! Gosh. We had a bit of a debate about cauliflower and broccoli. She said looked at the picture and said, mommy this book is wrong broccoli is not white it is green. So after explaining that it wasn't broccoli, it was cauliflower but they looked similar because they were part of the same family of plants she told me that it should just be called white broccoli because that is easier. Good point. Not like I eat it anyways. By the time we got to the page of instruments it was already 15 minutes into nap time and she was over it and told me I could leave and she was going to be quiet (*gasp* who is this girl and what has she done with my daughter). Nothing eventful went on after that, just some more building and pretending we were little red riding hood - we played with phonics cards a bit but after B-E-E and C-A-T Brenna woke up and put an end to that. We went grocery shopping and she helped me count out how many cans of fruit we needed and how many bananas we should get. I tried to trick her but it didn't work. She helped me load up the conveyor belt and headed home. No outside play today as it rained really hard all day long and even when I tried to get her to the front porch to watch the misc. trash sail down our street she told me the lightening and thunder was not safe to be outside and scary. Best to stay indoors. Brenna was back to her usual self. Mostly slept or watched us. Didn't fuss to much, not a single peep in the grocery store (rock on). Pat is taking leave all next week so it should be a good one - and Wednesday is our big camping trip! We pretty much didn't stick to the theme because she learned everything there was to learn pretty much the first 2 days. Tomorrow we are going to make brains, she was so excited she didn't want to sleep (OK that's not new). I told her if she didn't sleep she would be too tired to make brains - that ended that and off to brush her teeth she went. The End.

5 Questions, Comments, Concerns:

Gottfredsen said...

Question? How do you make brains, that sounds like a project my boys would love to do.

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

I love your blog because it shows how we "teach". KWIM. All day she was learning and not one of it was probably planned. You are allowing her to explore on her own. You can tell she is a very smart girl. What a wonderful mommy she has.

Daphne said...

The Brains are actually part of his experiment kit we found on super cheap clearance at target, it just involves porridge flakes, sand, a plastic bag and water. I don't know the amounts exactly. I'll get back to you on that one.

Garden State Kate said...

Sounds like an awesome day!
I miss "naps"..mine and hers,lol.

Daphne said...

Oh there is no napping involved. It's pretty much, "stay in your room and don't scream my name" time while I do dishes and tidy up. It usually doesn't work but the past 2 days have worked out great.