Wednesday, August 29, 2007

3 Days for the price of one

So... I haven't really posted anything about "preschool"... that's a my bad. I really don't know where my week went, or why it has been so rough since the family returned from NY... I have a few ideas why (they may or may not involve Sophia being allowed to stay up until 1am and watch not so good TV)... Yeah so a few moments of this week have been great... other's about as far from great as humanly imaginable. So... rather than dwell on the negative (which I would rather not remember anyhow)... I shall do a "Week in Review" of pictures... even though it really is only hump day. (It should be Friday though... don't you think?)One day this week... Monday perhaps? Sophia decided that it was only appropriate to eat breakfast outside since it was really nice outside and not too hot and not to cold. She tried to convince me that she needed coffee in a mug to enjoy while listening to the birds sing... I compromised with a Juicy Juicy instead. *Notice the super tacky yet totally awesome metal porch circa 1927) Another day this week... we finger painted. I have no clue what day this was... only that it wasn't the same day as the outdoor breakfast. Sophia somehow managed to make a really pretty shade of teal out of Blue, Green, Red and Yellow. I know she mixed them all together... I was there. Yet the result was quite surprising... I think she was a bit taken back herself. After that she said she needed to make orange, but to just give her yellow and red because she didn't want to end up with the Ocean again (as she appropriately named her color). Later some night (not tonight, maybe Monday)- She had a total and complete melt down. She's usually a verbal melt down type of person... alas, here she is laying on the floor having a complete tantrum because she wanted to do another letter. What?! I bought her a pre-K hooked on phonics because it was a) on sale and b)mis-shelved at target so I got it for $15 (I couldn't pass that up). She found it in my closet while looking for my high healed shoes so she could "practice being a princess" (I must say she walks better in them than I do). So she opened it up and saw that there was a CD-ROM. Now this little girl has never shown interest in letters, let alone their sound. Now... she is having raging fits because she can't do more letters? At least she's not screaming for Spongebob Squarepants (Thanks DH for introducing that one). Same day... an hour later.(yes that would put it at about 11pm... thanks again DH for the 1am bed time in NY)... Much calmer with a pile of books on my bed. I was tired... I wanted to sleep... I was told I was not invited and that I could sleep with Brenna. Gee... thanks but I think the crib has like a 75lb limit. So.....another day, another puzzle. Must have been the finger paint day. I like puzzles. I wanted to "help" her, or at least participate. I was not allowed. She informed me that if I wanted to do a puzzle I should do an adult puzzle because this was a children's puzzle and I needed something harder. Not very friendly now is she? Hmmph. After finishing her puzzle she took her counting bears and decided that they were going to drive in the taxis and eat ice cream.She said they weren't going to the toy store because they weren't for sale. Keen observation.I know this day... this was today. We made a huge mess making paper mache beads balls of goo. She had a grand ol' time. I didn't even get mad when my computer ended up covered in glue... I should have moved it. She really liked the ball she made. I liked it too, until she squeezed it. Now that she was effectively covered in glue. She decided she needed a bath, but not to wash her hair (we did that last night)... rather she wanted to stop being sticky while blowing bubbles. While in the tub (in her bathing suit of course because this was not a "bath" she just didn't want to be sticky) she noticed that her car would float from the back of the tub to near the faucet when she lifted the stopper. She asked me if I knew why it did that - I told her I was totally baffled and asked if she had any thoughts on why the car was drifting without her splashing it or pushing it. She told me it was because of the current. For that I say thank you Kate for mentioning Peep and his big big world... I forgot all about the link until Monday when we watched "Current Event" (like 10 times)... and everyday since the first thing Sophia says "is there a new Peep?" yup sure is... She especially liked today's about shadows. Although, she's not to keen on using her "imagination" about Peep, Quack and Chirp. She's actually pretty adamant that Quack is not a duck... he is an egg with legs. I tried to explain that he was not a real duck, but just a cartoon duck and she should use her imagination. She still wasn't feelin' it. So I said, well his name is quack so why wouldn't he be a duck? She said "You can name a chicken quack but that doesn't make him a duck".... game, set, match - I couldn't even argue with that.

10 Questions, Comments, Concerns:

Gottfredsen said...

It sounds like you had a pretty eventful week. That is great that she had so much doing the letters, sorry about the meltdown though. It just shows that you are doing such a great job teaching her that she wants to keep going.

Garden State Kate said...

ROTFLMBO!
Still sounds like a "good" week to me-lol.
I'm glad she is enjoying Peep-
I will have to wake P up early enough to catch it again, she likes it.:-)

Daphne said...

That website that you gave a link to... http://www.peepandthebigwideworld.com
It has "episodes" on it, and suggested mini science activities. Like yesterday's was about shadows and the activity was shadow puppets. Lots of cool games, I think the color splat with quack is Soph's favorite. Seriously though - you mentioning that link once made my life easier. I can't thank you enough for that little insight.

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

we too love Peep and the Big Wide World and link. We have done many of it's activities.
I too would have like to sit on the deck. I love drinking coffee outside with the sun shining. Hope your week is getting better.

Garden State Kate said...

LOL, Yes, P likes that link too, but then she says..I want to watch it on tv..lol. I say you need to get to bed earlier to get up earlier..it never ends.;-)
I love your meez by the way...I almost did the coffee mug too.

Shari said...

What a great way to do a summary of the week! My boys adored puzzles at that age also. It is amazing what catches children's interests during their threes. It sounds, on the whole, like a fun week.

I hope all of your sleeping habits return to normal soon.

Anonymous said...

Your week in review looks wonderful. I am sure there was lots of learning going on. I love that puzzle. Where did you find it? It seems to have just the right amound of pieces. It was quite imaginative of her to use the bears with the puzzle.

I would be furious with my dh if he let my kid stay up that late. Citcat is so habitial and it would take quite a while to undo the problem. Everytime my daughter sees Spongebob she says "why does that cheese have eyes?" Since neither of us have ever seen an episode I have to remind myself that it isn't cheese but a sponge.

Take care, I hope this week is going a bit better. Oh that's right it's only Monday. My dh thought it would be a good day to go into the office and play catch up. Believe it or not there were six other people doing the same thing.

Amber (Bouncing Buttons) said...

I LOVED reading your daughters adventures this week! She is so cute!!!! I love that you let her do paper mache at such a young age!

Cutie said...

I love how Sophia likes to eat breakfast outside and listen to the birds! It's one of my favorite things to do, too! I've enjoyed reading your blog so much and will follow along!

Daphne said...

Nina - we found the puzzle at Target, it is put out by the company that makes Cranium. The puzzle itself isn't to complicated and the pieces are pretty big, but there is a LOT going on the the puzzle, and it comes with activity cards of 2 different levels. They're all pretty simple like "find 6 skateboards" and there is a picture of the skateboard so little ones can figure it out. I think that there are a couple different "themed" puzzles along the same lines - I can't recall but I think that one is a city one or something like that. Hope that helped :)
Amber - growing up we weren't really allowed to "make messes" so I'm trying to grin and bear it.